With increasing risk to the reliability of Marin’s water supplies and the health of our watersheds, we need experienced leadership on the water board. We need someone who can work effectively with diverse stakeholders to find solutions that meet the water needs of communities and protect the environment. That's why I'm running for the Marin Municipal Water District Board as your Division II representative.
25 years of expertise in watershed management
I have 25 years of experience in California working collaboratively with community members, water districts, farmers, state and federal agencies and conservation groups to restore the health of rivers and fisheries, promote cost-effective flood management and address climate change. As a Senior Water Project Director at The Nature Conservancy*, I currently lead efforts to restore the health of our Northern California rivers while increasing water supply reliability for landowners and communities.
This district is my home. I moved to San Rafael 11 years ago and proposed to my wife Hilary on top of Mt Tam. Since then, we have been busy raising our 2 boys and being active in our community. I served on Bret Harte Community Association board, am a member of the Coleman Elementary School Dad's Group and look forward to coaching another season of youth soccer when sports resume.
As your representative on the MMWD Board, I will work to:
- Keep our water supply safe and reliable. With a master’s degree in Watershed Management and 25 years' experience addressing California’s complex water issues, I am uniquely qualified to understand the science, policy and social concerns behind every MMWD action and promote solutions to protect the quality and availability of our water.
- Maintain reasonable water rates. Everyone in our community should be able to afford safe and reliable water. I will support rate structuring to ensure continued stable funding for MMWD's operations, but always balancing that with the need to keep rates affordable, especially for low-income residents. Community members who conserve water should be rewarded, and so I will support financial incentives that promote conservation and water use efficiency.
- Improve recreational access to MMWD lands. As a hiker, stand-up paddler, cyclist, and cross-country runner, I understand the importance of the breathtaking recreational opportunities to our community. I will work to ensure reasonable and sustainable access in our MMWD lands while making sure that wildlife, habitats and water quality are not negatively impacted.
- Protect Marin's natural resources. In decades of work with The Nature Conservancy, the Natural Resources Defense Council, the National Park Service and the Ventana Wilderness Society, I have worked to preserve California's rivers, restore habitats for coho salmon, migratory birds and other wildlife. I know how to advance science-based solutions to protect the watersheds vital to Marin’s water supplies and address the growing threats of climate change, drought and wildfire.
The Schmitt Family
I am honored to be endorsed by among others the Sierra Club, Congressman Jared Huffman, Marin Professional Firefighters Local 1775, Marin County Supervisors Katie Rice, Damon Connolly, Judy Arnold and Dennis Rodoni, City Council Member Andrew McCullough, retiring MMWD Division II Board Member Armando Quintero, MMWD Board Members Cynthia Koehler and Larry Bragman, Access4Bikes and bike advocate Tom Boss. I would be honored to earn your vote on November 3rd.
* Organization/employer stated for identification purposes only.